What if we could give every child with autism the opportunity for a "do-over" - to go back and master the developmental steps they missed the first time?

Pages

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Invitation for a dance - using declarative language with your ASD child

“What’s this?” ," what does the dog do?",  "How are you?"


Too often we tend to use instrumental communication when speaking to a young child or to a child we believe does not have enough language, especially with an ASD child.


Instrumental language comes from the word instrument. I am using my partner for communication as an instrument to ask permission from, to ask directions, to get specific information.


Using instrumental/static communication limit the child language to a  much scripted, static communication.


When I am asking you what’s the time? I have specific intention and once I got what I want I have no need to continue and communicate.


However our goal is different, we want to develop real communication with our children, communication that will be used to share feelings, stories, emotions and thoughts. We want to invite our child to have this beautiful communication dance with us. For that to happen we have to increase the use of declarative language.


Declarative language is dynamic and unpredictable!


The framework is familiar ( we use words, sentences, structure) but the conversation that emerges in unpredictable. After all who can really predict what your partner to the conversation will say or how she will react to your words.


To put it in simple words when we use declarative language, we use statements, comments, open- ended questions. We invite our partner to add to the communication between us what they have or can give.


For example instead of asking “what is it?” and have our child answer a dog. – End of conversation.


We can say “oh look, a dog” and now we open a whole world of possible answers and possible directions for the communication between us.


Maybe a memory of a dog you saw yesterday


Maybe discussing the color of the dog


The neighbour’s dog... so many open possibilities and endless opportunities to continue with the communication.


Declarative language is one of the foundations of RDI; you cannot build a relationship without having declarative, dynamic communication.


I encourage you, wherever you are, in the next few days, when communicating with your child, stop and reflect; what kind of language are you using with your child? Do you keep it static and simple? Full of imperative and close ended questions?


Try to add more statements, to ask and state opinions, to ask questions that don’t have one right answer.


Invite your child for a dance.

3 comments:

  1. Hello ravid I feel that you are reading my mind. Thank you for that. I will try to use your idea in the next week and will advice letter on. The blog is interesting thank you for creating it , there is a need for such information.
    Yaelcohen . Tel aviv

    ReplyDelete
  2. Irrespective of receiving daily oral or future injectable depot therapies, these require health care visits for medication and monitoring of safety and response. If patients are treated early enough, before a lot of immune system damage has occurred, life expectancy is close to normal, as long as they remain on successful treatment. However, when patients stop therapy, virus rebounds to high levels in most patients, sometimes associated with severe illness because i have gone through this and even an increased risk of death. The aim of “cure”is ongoing but i still do believe my government made millions of ARV drugs instead of finding a cure. for ongoing therapy and monitoring. ARV alone cannot cure HIV as among the cells that are infected are very long-living CD4 memory cells and possibly other cells that act as long-term reservoirs. HIV can hide in these cells without being detected by the body’s immune system. Therefore even when ART completely blocks subsequent rounds of infection of cells, reservoirs that have been infected before therapy initiation persist and from these reservoirs HIV rebounds if therapy is stopped. “Cure” could either mean an eradication cure, which means to completely rid the body of reservoir virus or a functional HIV cure, where HIV may remain in reservoir cells but rebound to high levels is prevented after therapy interruption.Dr Itua Herbal Medicine makes me believes there is a hope for people suffering from,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,siva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpe ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia.(measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio and diphtheria)
    Hpv,All Cancer Types,Diabetes,Hepatitis,I read about him online how he cure Tasha and Tara so i contacted him on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com / info@drituaherbalcenter.com. even talked on whatsapps +2348149277967 believe me it was easy i drank his herbal medicine for two weeks and i was cured just like that isn't Dr Itua a wonder man? Yes he is! I thank him so much so i will advise if you are suffering from one of those diseases Pls do contact him he's a nice man.

    ReplyDelete

  3. I was born epileptic, but I am now free and cured with Dr Itua Herbal Made Medicine. I was seventeen and sitting at my computer when I fell out of my chair. Only thing I remember is waking up with the worse headache I had ever had in my life. I had never taken medication and I hated swallowing pills but I had to start. I switched between all kinds of medication because I didn't take them like I was supposed to. One day I had just finished running errands and was at my sisters house when I fell to the floor again. I woke up with a bad headache and my 2 year old Niece leaning over my leg asking me if I was OK. By then I had just started college and was one the verge of losing my license. My school is an hour away from where I live so I really got set back because I wasn't allowed to drive until I got my seizures under control. I would love to know how others have handles their epilepsy! So My sister friends Emma Told my sister about a herbal Doctor who reside in west Africa(Nigeria) Because Emma is from Africa as well, My sister told me about it then we decided to give a try. My sister contacted him also tell him about my autism too.he assures my sister that his herbal medicine will cure my epilepsy and my autism, I paid for the herbal medicine then he delivered to Charleston Post office I was called to pick it up which i quickly did, I drank it for two weeks as prescribed happily I went for diagnose and find out my Epilepsy and Autism is gone and today making it 9 Months and I'm now free from Autism, Seizure and Epilepsy, I will continue to share Dr Itua Natural Herbal Medicine works. I will recommend Dr Itua to anyone who suffering from,,,AUTISM, EPILEPSY, SEIZURE, COLD SORE, HERPES, HIV/AIDS.Shingles,Genitals Herpes,Dr Itua Contact Information..... Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com.... WhatsApp Number....+2348149277967. Live Happily Again With Dr Itua Herbal Made Medicine.

    ReplyDelete